Advice from… Dan Savage?

04.20.2011, 5:29 PM

Dan Savage, the brilliant and foul-mouthed sex columnist, has become one of the most important ethicists in America. Are we screwed?

He’s not brilliant, for one thing. I started reading the guy twenty years ago in The Stranger when I was just another twenty year old kid living in a rooming house in Seattle looking for a good time.

I find his column about as “brilliant” and enlightening as Randy Cohen’s “Ethicist” column in the NYT Magazine. Ie, not.

Give me Carolyn Hax any day.

6 Responses to “Advice from… Dan Savage?”

1. Jeffrey says:

Give me Carolyn Hax any day.

I wonder if this is a gendered thing? I find Hax to be wishy-washy and inconsistent, but her questions are probably 90% from women. I think she understands women a lot more than she understands men.

I realize the same can be said about Savage (including Maggie Gallagher’s recent catty comments about him not knowing a thing about women) but I find he is at least consistent and clear.

Savage is a much more skilled writer, which is probably what makes him a better read.

2. Tasha says:

You realize that Randy Cohen no longer writes the NYT’s Ethicist column, right?

3. ki sarita says:

Savage is thoroughly entertaining and his column is filled with good common sense. But I agree; I don’t see that as qualifying for the genius label.

4. Wendy Wartes says:

My grandparents and parents were married 65 years. I’ve been married to my husband for 42. Why wouldn’t my four kids all aspire to be married? Why would one think marriage is not for him? Oh right, because Maggie says he’ll ruin the institution if he gets married. Ion’t think so. I’ll believe Marquardt and others care about marriage when they work as hard to keep heterosexual couples married as they work to keep gay couples unmarried. And this old straight woman loves to read Dan’s columns.

5. On Lawn says:

Wendy,

What do you mean exactly by “keep them unmarried”?

6. Anna says:

I agree with Jeffrey that Hax is wishy-washy, but her cartoonist is brilliant. Often it’s funny because the cartoonist is saying something totally different than Hax – usually because Hax is so down on the idea of permanent commitment so fixated on the sacred obligation to do what’s best for ME right now, whereas the cartoonist has more normal human instincts.